Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Success... in my own small way

I gotta share my great happy face moment :)

It's been a great weekend! We spent it with Jake's family up at the horse ranch in Preston, Idaho (also known as the Free Farm.) Each year they hold an "Open House" where they put on a program and show their horses. A flag ceremony, a part where the kids work with some foals, a riding display, and a even a breaking demonstration. Free cookies and pop available to the audience... mmmm! They also let everyone ride after the program. The horses they raise are a specific breed called the Paso-Fino, and it's all very interesting/educational... but anyway... it's quite the event.

Since I married into the family I have loved going out and watching all of this! It's just awesome to see it come together and the ranch is all the wide open spaces a person could want - Beautiful! Usually I find myself admiring the splendor from a distance, or beaming with pride as my hubby breaks some wild crazy horse. But...

This year I made a goal to do my part. I helped! wahoo!!! And this is my super happy face moment - I was able to find my way around, pitch in, and not be in the way. YES! I know it sounds ridiculous, but I found a huge sense of accomplishment by being part of the crew this year - It just felt good, ya know? I did some set up, led some horses around the arena, answered some questions, adjusted some stirrups, unsaddled a few mares when it was all over... Okay, so I didn't break a horse or anything, but I totally contributed. hahaha. You would think I would have got with the program a little sooner, I mean it's my fourth year, but I'm a little slow.

So I guess you'll all just have to come up next year and check out my cowgirl skills. :)

Check out my Free Farm picture album on Facebook!

1 comment:

Kaylee and Phil said...

Ranette... you are so cute! You make me laugh! Good job on helping out! :)