Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Independence Day Festivities

I had some major trouble making a decision as to what we should do for the 4th this year.
My sentiments always draw me back to the Firework show in Idaho Falls, yet I didn't make it down to watch them this year.

Mine and Jake's friend (who we haven't seen in YEARS) finally got some time off and flew in for a visit - He wanted to be in Mink Creek so that kind of made our decision for us. However... my work required me to be in the Rexburg Parade Saturday morning. So Jake left Friday night and I stuck around. I can't complain... it turned out to be extremely fun for me.

I work at Madison Gymnastics Center, so what's not fun about that!? We got a big trailer and pulled a LONG trampoline for all of us coaches to tumble on. Very cool. There's something you never picture yourself doing.... consecutive backflips on a trampoline while it is MOVING! I wish I would have taken some pictures because it was an awesome set up. Kind of like this...


It was the oddest feeling - when you started running down the tramp it seemed like you had so much room, but while you are flipping in the air the trailer would keep moving so you didn't land where you thought you would land. And corners.... forget about it. :) I could tell that my boss had done it a few times, as he put on an amazing show of dynamic heights whenever it was his turn --- gave me a heart attack. (I won't tell you how ridiculously sore I am STILL from showing off more skill than I really have. With that big of an audience watching I couldn't help throwing the hard tricks. I paid for it big time. hahaha)



Whenever there was a stop in the parade we would let some of the kids jump up on it to do some little tricks. It really was just a blast, and something I am glad I got to be a part of.
And of course, being in the parade gives me an excuse to do something crazy to my hair:


This is what we call the Ribbon Braid. It's a little messy because I didn't get the picture before I started tumbling - I remembered before it got too messed up, but the red braid is looking a little skitty-wampus :) For the bun, I just did it normal with some ribbons running through it, but the braids were actually something new for me. I found it on a "princess hair" website.... shhh, don't tell!

Following the parade I packed a bag and met up with my hubby and friends in Mink Creek. The rest of the weekend was fun-filled with all the usual activities. Horse rides, four-wheeling, gun shooting, good food, and some small fireworks of our own. It went by too fast and we did not fit in floating the river or bridge jumping... but next time.... :)

1 comment:

Katy said...

That was super cool seeing you at the parade... i wish you were doing flips and such when you were in front of us... i would have gotten pics of ya! you were a ground-spotter at that time though!

your hair looks awesome! wow, i'm impressed... i can't even get a ponytail in my hair without weeping from frustration.. i don't even want to THINK about how hard yours would be!!!!