Monday, January 24, 2011

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL... (EVEN IN THE WINTER)

What do you do on the weekend, when all the world is white? --- Use the snow to your advantage! Yes, the gloomy grey skies of winter and the icy cold winds of Rexburg can be a little unpleasant, but I have never really been the kind who wishes for Spring too early. I guess it is all those snow forts I built as a kid, or the magical frost covered mornings. There's something about the fluffy blanket of new snow that I can never get enough of! Anyway, Jake and I have been out in the snow a lot this winter, and I have been LOVIN' it.

Here we are, the middle of December, gearing up for the classic "sled-behind-the-4-wheeler" bit. Jake is quite handy rigging up a tow rope.


A few friends came over to take part in this joyful craziness, even though they just had a baby a few weeks earlier! New mommy was riding that sled like a pro!


Things got pretty lively and death-defying when Jake took to driving - I had to lay on my belly and hang on for dear life!


Lots of fish tailing, sharp turns, and even playing tag! Oh, and we won't mention the pride-shattering wipe outs that each of us experienced. The four of us cruised around in the field behind our house until the sun went down.


The holiday hype did limit our outdoor adventures for the next few weeks. But I still found time to enjoy a blizzard or two. Mmmm.... snowflakes!


We have had some good ol' times plowing the driveway and shoveling the snow. I have been wanting to learn how to drive the plow so Jake doesn't have to do it every time --- could be scary. More on that later...

The last three weekends have been spent on the slopes! Beaver Mountain in Logan is our favorite skiing destination, because it's the best bang for your buck! The first time this season, Jake went with a couple work buddies and tested it out. They came home all sorts of worn out, but Jake was already excited to go again! So we planned for the following weekend and headed up again. There were 5 of us (Jake, me, our buddy Landon, little sister Heidi and a friend.) It was a beautiful day! This past weekend there was another group who invited us, and we just couldn't resist. It was us and two other couples. This day was... well... kind of hazardous.

All began as it should, and we even left on time! We arrived and got on the lift, and made some excellent runs. There was fresh powder everywhere and still falling all around us. And so with these conditions I decided to try my luck at snowboarding! I had tried this once last year, but only for a few hours --- I really needed to erase that horrible memory. The first time was all bumps and bruises so I was determined to improve. I rented some gear and Jake took on the challenge of coaching me. And can I just say that he is TREMENDOUSLY patient and supportive. It's not the easiest thing in the world to teach me something, especially for a husband, so I am seriously grateful for how well he did so. And now my brag moment....
I actually did really good this time and in a few hours I was carving! Wahoo! I felt very proud of my meager accomplishments, and although extremely exhausted and wet, I was one happy little snow bunny. One more run and then we were going to break for lunch.

But that one more run - UH OH! A girl in our group took a bad spill and twisted her knee all up. She had to ride down in a ski patrol sled and spend some time at the injury cabin. They had it all wrapped up with some sort of cardboard brace and she did not look overly comfortable. They wouldn't let her eat anything, and it definitely put a damper on the day. So after a while we decided that her husband would take her down to the hospital and the other four of us would go on a few more runs and meet them there after. We were all a little more cautious after that, and I switched back to my skis.

It turns out the knee injury was minor, and that was great news! A few pulled ligaments so she had to wear a big brace, but no crutches necessary. We were quite a homely looking bunch as we exited the hospital - soaking wet, beanie hair, and wearing our pajamas. Dinner is what we needed and Firehouse grill was just the place! It's a fantastic pizza place in Logan, and it definitely hit the spot.

It was about 6:00 when we got back to Preston, where we would be spending the night. It felt like midnight to me, and I just wanted to put in a movie and relax. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that we were going to play wallyball instead! The other two girls DID sneak out and watch a movie, but the rest of us played WAY too many games of Wallyball and pretty much ran ourselves into the ground. We played old generation versus younger generation. Good thing we still had enough energy to win that one - whew!

It was late to bed, but what a good nights sleep. Two days later I am still immobile, but THOSE are some good times :)

No comments: