Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Egg-cellent Easter

Egg coloring at Easter time is kind of a big deal in my family. And when I say kind of a big deal, I mean it in a "better-get-comfy-in-your-seat-because-nobody-leaves-the-table-for-the-next-ten-hours" kind of way. So last year on Easter, Jake and I were lounging luxuriously in Hawaii and completely missed these traditional Eggs-travagent activities. While walking down that sandy beach I really missed those dozen boiled white beauties waiting to be transformed. I'm NOT saying I wouldn't do it again, because get real... it's Hawaii --- But since I skipped a year, I  felt quite Easter deprived. (Once again, NOT ungrateful for my trip to Hawaii - simply recognizing the absence of familiar festivities.) I know it's strange - but that's how it is my friends :)

Needless to say I have been Egg-static about Easter this year - literally been dreaming about it since February! Worse than a kid, I have been asking Jake "Is it Easter yet?" at LEAST once a day. Since my sister, ShaNae shares in these odd Egg-centricities, she drove from Provo to spend the weekend with us! hooray! We reserve the entire day on Saturday for egg-coloring and it was Eggs-tra fun! Really big bummer that Jake had to work - but after it was all said and done I think he would consider himself blessed to have missed this.............
  This picture was taken at the beginning when there was still some resemblance of organization. The sticky, colorful, vinegar-laden mess that followed was historical. It took us some time to get in the groove, but we both finally decided on a theme. Yes... a theme or category into which all of our eggs must fit.  ShaNae chose CULTURAL LOCATIONS and I (being simple-minded and in a childlike frame of mind) chose DISNEY. For photos and explanation of her stunning collection go to her Facebook Photo Album. And once you have been awed and inspired by them, you may look at my photo gallery on Facebook as well.

It was well into the night when our creative juices were Eggs-austed. There were but a few cracked eggs remaining when we went to sleep. Sunday morning was absolutely gorgeous and the Easter Bunny had come to visit! ShaNae and I came upon the scene where he had obviously been, and our reaction was immediate - We scrambled Egg-citedly to gather up the candy that had been scattered across the floor (what...you don't pounce about on all fours ferociously defending your section of carpet where the pastel Hershey kisses lay? hmmm... you're missin' out!) Luckily Mr.Cotton Tail had not maliciously hidden our baskets as he had when I was growing up. They were lined up in a pretty little row on our table filled with some mighty tasty treats. Didn't take ME long to chow down.

After Eggs-amining  the bounty of our plundering, ShaNae and I actually went back to the egg-coloring wreckage to finish dying what was left --- any remaining white shell rubble we could find. haHA! It was soon time to get ready for church, so it was a good thing we were able to finish quickly. While we were dressed up I had ShaNae snap a couple pictures of Jake and I out in the sun ---
 
Not our most photogenic moment of all time, but a GREAT moment none the less. It felt Eggs-tremely good to see green grass and soak up the warmth. I was beaming with gratitude for the wonderful circumstances that we now find ourselves in.

It turned out to be Fast Sunday in our ward (because we will be having Stake Conference on the first Sunday of next month) so we got to hear lots of joyful spring testimonies during sacrament meeting. The chapel was full of little girls with bouncy curls and bright dresses! Jake looked around and commented on the Egg-cessive wearing of pastel clothing. There was such a HAPPY spirit about the meeting. I was warmed from the inside out and deeply touched by by many of the comments that were shared.

As I soaked it all in, I marveled at the presence of the Savior in my own life and His far-reaching (infinite) influence through the Atonement. I reflected on just this last week, and how much He and our Heavenly Father support me in my  life - How much help He gives me in doing the hard things - How He is ever available to guide my actions - How there is always hope in Him - How His comforting Spirit sustains me - How His perfect life inspires me to become more....   Normally in this world such a heavy reliance or dependency on a person would mean weakness and would cause disabling tendencies to develop within us. But reliance on Him brings us Strength and a greater capacity of character. I know that I am given strength beyond my own when I exercise faith and trust in Him (through going to Him in prayer, or simply acknowledging His hand in things.) And although he was crucified, I know He Lives! --- because of the very real involvement He has in my very personal decisions. His love for each of us  is so pure that He even had a deep genuine concern for those who inflicted great pain upon Him. This is a love I do not understand, but that I feel sometimes and for which I am so very grateful.

As we left the church building the sun was still shining, and we practically considered that a miracle in itself! :) ShaNae had a brilliant idea to use the beautiful lighting to take some outside pictures. She has a photo contest coming up at work, so we made a little drive up to the train bridge to take a few snapshots. Nothing Eggs-treme, we just had a lot of fun wandering by the RR tracks. Here is my favorite shot for the photo contest:
Here are a few of the shots I took of ShaNae while we were out and about:  (Once I get a camera in my hands I can't help myself so I made her pose for awhile.)
 

The first two have kind of a pensive Eggs-pression, but the last one rocks my socks! I know I shouldn't say that about my own picture taking skills, but I love the "hanging-out-in-my-sunglasses-attitude and all around vibe of it! ShaNae had to take off for home after this, so we parted ways :(

When I returned home, my handsome hubby was out doing a little yard work. So I went inside to check some things on the computer. As I typed away at the keyboard, I saw a little plastic egg sitting suspiciously in my coin jar.  I had noticed another one right as I walked in the back door, but thought it was just left over from that morning or what not. But having seen this second one, I realized there was something going on. hmmmm..... I cracked it open and it had an Egg-ceptionally comical note written inside. I ran back to the one by the back door and opened it as well. (Also had a hilarious message hidden inside.) So I went outside to inquire of my hubby. I held them up for him to see and he smirked impishly. He had hidden them while I was out participating in Eggs-traneous activities with my little sister! What a sneak! I admit, I rather enjoyed rounding them up and reading the nonsensical sentences placed in each one. And a couple of them even had husband coupons inside - Good for a date night, Good for him cooking a meal, and Good for a bike ride. Score!  (Thank you my Eggs-traordinary fellow for knowing how much I love Easter and for making the perfect contribution.)

To conclude the evening, we grabbed a snack and watched "Tangled."  It was the second time we'd seen it, but it still made us laugh out loud! "You broke my smolder"  gets Jake going every time and I am personally a big fan of how he always calls her chameleon a frog. CLASSIC.

Anyway, I hope you all had the perfect Easter - because it really wouldn't be fair if we were the only ones who did! 

No comments: