Sunday, February 15, 2009

We couldn't stop V-day from coming!

Both my hubby and I had to work on V-day, but that kind of works for us. The principles behind the holiday are obviously important to us, but somehow designating a specific day for it throws things out of the thoughtful category and puts them somewhere between obligatory and insincere. So we didn't make plans other than going to work and watching our usual episode of '24' when we got home. Somehow the traditions did manage to squeeze into the cracks though - I think Cupid must have found the hole in our screen door and let himsef in.
The little pouncing puppy you see above is affectionately known as Pooter. I found him sitting upstairs along with a chocolate rose before I left for work. The message on his bum says LOVE YA and in his mouth
you can see that he fetched a kiss for me. (I admit, I carry him around the house.) The bouquet of fruit flowers is what I make for Jake every year because he doesn't like chocolate much and
he LOVES fruit. I don't have a picture of the real flowers Jake brought home from work for me. He was mad because in his words "The ladies at the place made them look like funeral flowers" They were a bit Granny-ish, not to mention pink, but
do you think that I hated them? uh... NO. Laughter turned out way better than romanticism. We also had a very tasty steak dinner straight from our grill - yes... cooked outside in the middle of winter. They were of the boneless Ribeye variety and came with a side of pasta. Mmmm! As you can see Valentines day came inspite of our best efforts and we were spoiled wrotten.

( We HADN’T stopped V-day from coming!
IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!
And the Free's, with their BBQ outside in the snow
Stood puzzling and puzzling: “How could it be so?”
“The flowers with a ribbon! A puppy with tags!
It came through steak and pasta in our grocery bags!”
And they puzzled three hours, till their puzzlers was sore.
Then the Free's thought of something they hadn’t before!
“Maybe V-day” they thought, “made us buy stuff at the store"
“But it is every day love that means a whole lot more.”)

1 comment:

Karrianne said...

oh my gosh you are so dang cute!

I LOVED the poem! And I am glad your valentine's day went well... ours... uh... not so much. Our basement was flooded when we got home late friday night (actually 1:30am on Valentine's day) and that whole day we had sick boys (like... have to clean up my floor... sick boys)

Yes... it was your typical romantic valentine's day. I did get a Wii game though... I guess that made it cool.