Friday, May 27, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

Last night, Jake and I attended the Commencement Exercises for Preston High School. We are so glad that we were able to make it and see his little sister, Heidi, graduate as part of the class of 2011!
To a lot of people, graduation is "that-agonizing-annual-event-where-that-one-song-is-played-over- and-over-and-over-again-while-some-guy-with-a-monotone-voice-reads-off-a-bunch-of-names.".....And now that I think of it, I guess there was a time when I would have agreed with that entirely.  But ever since my own high school graduation, and as I pondered the subject last night, I view the whole ordeal much differently. Do we just forget what it signifies because we have to sit on those hard chairs? Graduation encompasses so many things:  It's a celebration --- Not the crazy happenin' party type of celebration, but more of a  rejoicing from the inside emotional celebration!  It's a goodbye - when the graduate parts ways with close friends and comes to terms with the fact that a huge section of their life is complete.  It's an accomplishment - to have come through it all, having learned both academic and life lessons. Whether learned by hard work or simply by existing in the midst of it, you are counted among those who have met the criteria! It's a relief- that this awkward realm of teenagers and locker combinations, that was seemingly infinite, no longer owns you! It's a new beginning - which will renew your personal stash of hopes, dreams, and anything you want it to renew! 


I guess I am just sentimental by nature, but I really got a lot out of the experience. Not so much out of the program, or what was said - but from absorbing the atmosphere. I felt good about so many people gathering and participating. I like knowing that societies support each other, and respect special occasions. I guess it's sort of like a community coming together for a flag-raising on the 4th of July or a crowd spontaneously applauds to recognize an exceptional individual as they walk into a room. I really value that sense of honor. Maybe it's just a small town thing?  Whatever you want to call it - It was very noticeable as everyone in the gym stood and sang the Preston Alma Mater song:  
Preston High, Our Alma Mater
How our hearts do swell
When thy name is breathed or spoken
O' we love thee well
Raise the emblems of our power
Hail the Blue and white
Sound a cheer the world can hear
Our spirit is our might

Admiration fills the students
At the colors sight
Blue and White the chosen symbols
Of our Preston High

Many sacred memories linger
Round the old stone wall
Lo, in dreams live voices echo
Through the time worn halls

When the years have bowed our figures
And our hair is white
Memory's hand will guide our footsteps
Back to Preston High

Again... it wasn't the words that were special, but the energy in the crowd. Preston has built a new gym since Jake went to school there, so he wasn't feeling overly nostalgic about the situation - but he did recognize the song being the same. In my home town each class picks a different song --which is pretty fun to have a song unique to the year you graduated --but since I am not at all fond of the song picked for my year, their tradition and consistency seemed kind of neat to me. 

Jake was just happy to be there for his little sister - so I had  to be the one oodling in memories and nostalgia in his place :)  
 
Heidi really is such a great kid. She is overflowing with potential and positive energy. I have a lot of admiration for her ambition - Talk about heart and determination! Her personality is so pure and happy that it makes me happy. I am excited to have her live with us for a semester or two while she attends BYU-Idaho. Congratulations little sis!

Hats off to the graduates! 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" -Ghandi



  

No comments: